This position will perform highly responsible, complex and specialized administrative work directly for the School Board using independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Ability to analyze pertinent data; ability to effectively use problem-solving skills; ability to work as part of a team with staff or other departments; ability to identify important issues or problems in areas of responsibility; ability to share ideas with others in a clear and informative manner. Ability to regularly use independent judgment and discretion in matters related to business operations and management policies. Keep the school board members informed of critical issues within the department and district about which they should be aware. Ability to work under general direction with no direct supervision. Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills and interaction techniques; analytical skills to review information and formulate alternative solutions to problems; ability to plan projects and utilize effective time management skills. Must possess computer skills including, but not limited to, spreadsheets, document processing, and presentation software utilization. Ability to manage project calendars and timelines. Knowledge and commitment to decentralized decision-making and accountability for results.
REPORTS TO: Administrator, School Board Services and Executive Manager, Office of the Superintendent
SUPERVISES: May supervise clerical staff
MACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT:
Machines, tools, equipment, electronic devices, vehicles, etc., used in this position. Telephone, Computer, (Personal Computer and Mainframe), Automobile, Copier.
Describes physical conditions of this position.
Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for sedentary work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated as Light Work.
Physical activities of this position. Percent of a typical day involved in each applicable activity is noted.
70 Sitting: Resting with the body supported by the buttocks or thighs.
10 Standing: Assuming an upright position on the feet, particularly for sustained periods of time.
10 Walking: Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances.
5 Bending: Lowering the body forward from the waist.
5 Reaching: Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
5 Lifting: Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position-to-position through the use of the upper extremities and back muscles exerting up to 10 pounds of force.
80 Finger Dexterity: Picking, pinching, typing or otherwise working primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand or arm.
70 Grasping: Applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palm.
90 Talking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which detailed or important spoken instructions must be conveyed accurately, loudly or quickly.
90 Hearing Acuity: The ability to perceive speech and other environmental sounds at normal loudness levels.
90 Visual Acuity: The power to see at a level which allows reading of numbers and text, operation of equipment, inspection of machines, etc.
Note: Will total more than 100 percent as several activities may be performed at one time.
Conditions the worker will be subject to in this position.
Indoors and Outdoors: The worker is subject to both environmental conditions. Activities occur inside and outside.
* Manifests a professional code of ethics and values.
* Respond to internal and external customers in a timely, accurate, courteous and empathetic manner representing OCPS in a positive light.
* Models the routine, intentional and effective use of technology in daily work, including communications, organization and management tasks.
* Manage activities of the school board operations pertaining to handling and creation of correspondence and publications.
* Provide professional staff support to the school board members on individual and group major projects and manage minor projects, as assigned.
* Oversee the development of correspondence for board members and review all materials submitted for school board members’ signature to ensure accuracy and necessary approvals before they are signed.
* Create and/or generate weekly, quarterly, and annual analytical reports for utilization by school board members, including dissemination of data.
* Review all items submitted for signature to school board members to ensure necessary preapprovals and/or accuracy. Coordinate the completion, accuracy, and submittal, within specified timeframe, of school board agenda items from reporting departments.
* Provide research for school board members upon request, web based & hard copy; locate reports from other districts (topic specific); locate specific articles (topic specific).
* Research and develop data bases for seven board members.
* Monitor and track all contracts/agreements approved by the School Board for the district.
* Train clerical employees and other managers on specific functions and tasks, as needed.
* Responsible for preparation of all materials, i.e. overheads, handouts, for presentations by school board members.
* Provide the board with materials in advance of board meetings for their use in issues resolution.
* Respond to both the public and school board employees’ questions regarding school board policies and management directives, and serve on committees, as assigned.
* Respond to research requests from the general public as assigned by supervisor.
* Route mail to superintendent from school board members for appropriate action.
* Coordinate the research of information from past board meetings for general counsel.
* Maintain School Board documents.
* Research and create materials for board member meetings and workshops.
* Serve as liaison between board members, community and other governmental agencies; serve as liaison for the board members at special events and meetings by attending these functions, as needed.
* Serve as liaison between board members, community and other governmental agencies for scheduling appointments, meetings, etc.
* Handle advertisement of all events/meetings within each board members district and keep all board members apprised of relevant meetings within their district.
* Manage the proper maintenance of the school board members’ calendar, including scheduling of meetings, appointments, and speaking engagements.
* Respond, as needed, to callers on behalf of school board members in a professional and effective manner including calls that require input from legal counsel.
* Coordinate and handle school board members’ travel.
* Maintain cooperative relationships with all district departments.
* Respond appropriately to calls for action from national and state associates with which the school board is affiliated.
* Proofread/edit, newsletters, publications, etc
* Work with board members on individual and group projects - individual board member committee meetings.
* Maintain School Board Services budget; purchase orders, travel expense reports (summary), detailed accounting of departmental spending.
* Back up Executive Manager, Office of the Superintendent at school board meetings.
* Cover all evening work sessions and committee meetings.
* Coordinate tasks and assignments of department classified staff member.
* May serve as office administrator to classified staff and implement office procedures.
* Assist Administrator in orienting new School Board Members.
* Keep the school board members informed of critical issues within the department and district about which they should be aware.
* Follow the district’s policies and procedures as related to all HRMD guidelines and the school district’s charter guidelines.
* Develop leadership in subordinates.
* Follow the district’s policies and procedures as related to fixed assets.
* Responsible for keeping up to date on current technology being used by OCPS. With the support of the district, attends training to ensure skill level in various technologies is at the level required to perform in current position.
* Responsible for maintaining timely and accurate information and accountable for the quality of information maintained by those they supervise.
* Responsible for self-development and keeping up to date on current research, trends and best practices relevant to the area of responsibility.
* Essential Performance Responsibilities
Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Non-bargaining unit compensation plan, twelve months, 20 hours per week
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board's policy on evaluation of personnel.